Development Measures seeks to recruit a qualified Program/Research Officer for its operations in Abuja. This is a full time position based in requiring occasional travels to project locations outside Abuja. The person must also be willing to work for longer hour when required to meet programme and project timelines.
The successful candidate will participate in the conceptualization, design and implementation of development initiatives in the areas of good and accountable governance, legislative strengthening, electoral processes, strategic planning and institutional strengthening and monitoring and evaluation.
- Prepare project concept notes for review and contribute to the design of project interventions
- Undertake project background literature reviews
- Collect and analyze basic research and performance data
- Prepare materials for submission to donor agencies and development partner organizations
- Design and administer interview questionnaires for key informants and for focused groups
- Maintain accurate records of interviews, safeguarding the confidentiality of subjects, as necessary
- Transcribe and summarize interviews
- Provide ready access to all experimental data for the faculty researcher and/or supervisor
- Request or acquire equipment or supplies necessary for the project
- Manage and respond to project related email
- Prepare, maintain and update website materials
- Supervise undergraduate students working on the research project (maintaining records on assignment completion, acting as liaison/mediator between the undergraduate students and the faculty researcher)
- Attend project meetings, seminars and other programme/project meetings as necessary prepare timely report of same.
- Prepare progress reports
- Prepare other articles, reports and presentations
- Monitor the project budget
- As appropriate to the specified position, code and verify data in accordance with specified research protocol and coding procedures and enter data into a computer database and/or spreadsheet application for subsequent analysis
- Develop or assist in the development of interview schedules; contact potential subjects to introduce and explain study objectives and protocol and to arrange interviews, either in person or by telephone
- Conduct and record face-to-face and/or telephone interviews with subjects, in accordance with predetermined interview protocol, data collection procedures and documentation standards
- Review and edit data to ensure completeness and accuracy of information; follow up with subjects to resolve problems or clarify data collected
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
The ideal candidate should have a M.Sc in the social sciences or at least a B.Sc with a Upper Class and demonstrate a good understanding of research procedures and practice. Previous experience in a research institution is desirable but not compulsory as the position will also provide great learning opportunities.
How to Apply
Interested qualified persons, who must be resident in Abuja should send in their hand-written applications with a one page statement on why they are interested in this job, including scanned copies of their relevant certificates by email to firstname.lastname@example.org before close of business on December 2nd, 2017. Candidates under consideration will be contacted for interview within 2weeks of the application and successful candidates should be prepared to resume by January 2017.